WoW! Women of the Word
Summer Bible Study Session
You are what you love. But you might not love what you think.
In this book, award-winning author James K. A. Smith shows that who and what we worship fundamentally shape our hearts. And while we desire to shape culture, we are not often aware of how culture shapes us. We might not realize the ways our hearts are being taught to love rival gods instead of the One for whom we were made. Smith helps readers recognize the formative power of culture and the transformative possibilities of Christian practices. He explains that worship is the "imagination station" that incubates our loves and longings so that our cultural endeavors are indexed toward God and his kingdom. This is why the church and worshiping in a local community of believers should be the hub and heart of Christian formation and discipleship.
TEXT: You Are What You Love: The Spiritual Power of Habit
by James K.A. Smith
Holy Bible, your preferred translation
You Are What You Love Discussion Questions
prepared by Nathan Bierma (handout)
Reading & Discussion Schedule
- June 11th - Chapter 1, "You Are What you Love"
- June 18th - Chapter 2, "You Might Not Love What You Think"
- June 25th - Chapter 3 , "The Spirit Meets You Where You Are"
- July 2nd - BREAK for Independence Day
- July 9th - Chapter 4, "What Story Are You In?"
- July 16th - Chapter 5, "Guard Your Heart"
- July 23rd - Chapter 6, "Teach Your Children Well"
- July 30th - Chapter 7, "You Make What You Want"